Read More

While the whole mobile world is discussing iPhone 6 and Apple Watch together with all the other news from this week’s Apple event, let’s review some stats from current usage of OS X and iOS by Chitika.

As seen from the graph, iPhone 5, 5C, and 5S users generate 65.4% of total iPhone Web traffic in the U.S. and Canada this August, with users of older iPhone models making up the remaining 34.6%. This can be seen through two separate lenses in terms of what this may mean for future iPhone models.

figure-1

A full 90% of North American iOS Web traffic comes from devices running iOS 7, largely thanks to Apple’s update strategy which isn’t subject to carrier controls and directly prompts eligible users to upgrade. (Figure 2) It only took a week following the release of iOS 7 for the majority of iOS traffic to be coming from that version, so the release of iOS 8 can reasonably be expected to elicit a similar reception.

figure-2

The OS X usage environment is more widely distributed than iOS, as there is a larger legacy base of Mac desktops and laptops, many of which may not necessarily be upgrade eligible to some more recent OS X versions. Even so, a majority of Mac OS X Web usage comes from users of the most recent publicly available OS version, OS X 10.9 Mavericks. A sizable percentage of these users will make the switch to OS X 10.10 Yosemite when it goes to general release, with the general consensus being that the new version will make its full debut later in the fall.

figure_3